Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Snow, rain and Ultimate Frisbee

It was wet, raining, snow covered everything and for all intents and purposes it was a miserable day outside on Sunday. And still there was Ultimate Frisbee being played.

The Evanston Ultimate Club plays year round and was determined to keep playing through the Chicago area winter weather. The field was a messy combination of snow, ice and slush, but all that didn't stop them. 

So, when I visited this past weekend I wasn't too surprised to hear they were playing, and I jumped at the opportunity to join in. I'm glad I did too, playing in weather like that is a reminder of why I enjoy the sport so much. It was a great learning experience, but it definitely wasn't easy.

With the rain and snow everything was a challenge. The conditions forced us to focus on the fundamentals of throwing, catching and cutting. I tried going deep at first, but it became clear that the game was going to be based less on speed and athleticism and more on experience and patience.

It was a challenge at first, but past experience and all those hours spent at practices got put to good use. Eventually things came together for me, and the team I was on.

We became more patient, and looked for the easy throws. Despite a slower pace we were able to keep the disc moving forward, and the defense on its heals.

Even though the slippery ground provided a challenge, it was also fun to play on. Sliding became a part of the game, and it was just something that we accepted as the game went on.

It sure wasn't ideal, but I'd do it again in a second. It was a great reminder of how important all the little things are in a game that can look easy when it's nice out.

No comments:

Post a Comment